|Mercury in Processes|
|Friday, 23 September 2011 15:11|
Mercury is used intentionally in various industrial processes or released unintentionally from certain industrial processes.
These include but are not limited to:- Artisanal and Small Scale Gold Mining (ASGM)
- Chlorine manufacturing
- Cement products
- Coal combustion
- Metal Smelters
- Steel Production
- Vinyl Chloro Monomer (VCM) production
- Waste Incineration
Usually in industrial processes that intentionally use mercury, the releases into the environment occur through:· Emissions and wastes generated during the production of mercury both primary and secondary production for instance through mining and
as a by-product respectively.
· Releases during the recycling of wastes
· Releases form sludge, residues, contaminated equipment and supplies produced during the process
· Releases from trace or mercury residue from products produced through a mercury process.
· Process releases for instance fugitive air emissions.